Disclaimer: This work was produced by one of our expert legal writers, as a learning aid to help law students with their studies.

Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not reflect the views of LawTeacher.net. Any information contained in this help guide does not constitute legal advice and should be treated as educational content only.

Appeals | LPC Help

348 words (1 pages) LPC Help Guide

1st Jun 2020 LPC Help Guide Reference this In-house law team

Jurisdiction / Tag(s): UK Law


Appeal from the Magistrates Court

Reopening the case 142 MCA 1980: on conviction the defendant can ask the magistrates to set the conviction aside. The court would have to see if this is in the interests of Justice. Usually the trial will be reopened to correct an obvious mistake that occurred during the trial.

Appeal to the Crown Court s108 Magistrates Court Act 1980 : the defendant can appeal against conviction and or  sentence and the costs  can be met under a representation order. The defendant should appeal within 21 days of conviction or sentence and the appeal will be held in the Crown Court in the form of a rehearing where the crown court can confirm or reverse the magistrates’ decision. If the appeal fails the Crown court can impose whatever penalty the magistrates would have ordered and it may be that the defendant incurs a harsher penalty.

Appeal by way of case stated: The defendant will appeal to the Divisional Court  if the magistrates made an error of law or acted outside their jurisdiction. The Divisional court can confirm or reverse the magistrates’ decision.

Judicial Review Part 54 CPR: An application can be made to the Divisional court where a public body acted irrationally, illegally or did not follow the correct procedure. The court may make a mandatory prohibition or quashing order.

Appeal from the Crown Court

The defendant can appeal to the Court of Appeal against conviction or sentence. Leave must be obtained form the trial judge or Court of Appeal and an appeal against conviction will only be allowed if the conviction is unsafe according to s 2(1) (a) CAA 1968.  If the conviction is held to be unsafe the court may quash the conviction order an acquittal or retrial, find the appellant guilty allow part of the appeal or dismiss the appeal.

Cite This Work

To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:

Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.

Related Services

View all

Related Content

Jurisdictions / Tags

Content relating to: "UK Law"

UK law covers the laws and legislation of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Essays, case summaries, problem questions and dissertations here are relevant to law students from the United Kingdom and Great Britain, as well as students wishing to learn more about the UK legal system from overseas.

Related Articles